Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thrifted Clothing Rosette Wreath

Not that I'm by any means "old" (whatever "old" is these days), but man oh man...I soooo hated wreaths when I was young. My mom is who I got my craftiness from...she was always making, creating, refashioning, SOMEthing...for someone, or herself, family, always. One of the things I can distinctly remember her doing is making wreaths...especially for our front door and my MaMa's front door (her mom). Big, small, holidays, flowers, bows, you name it. It became a wreath...now don't get me wrong (Mom, I know you're reading this), it's not that they weren't pretty...but my momma will tell you I *hate* bows on things. I just do. I'm not a bow kinda girl. My momma loves bows and puts them on EVERYTHING. I like hair bows, I like bows on gifts, I even can handle bows for a baby's birth. I don't want bows a part of my decor...fine for you, and you, and YOU, but not me! Thus...I hated wreaths. Because all my momma's wreaths had a bow. Or so it seemed :)

So last night I decided to sit down and make a spring-y wreath for our door, one that would carry us into summer if need be...because with Colston arriving in April, I don't know that I'll get around to another one any time soon after. I wanted to strictly use thrifted and repurposed clothing from my craft stash--the same items I use to create the pieces I sell.

I used one of the hubby's old gray tees cut into thick strips to cover the entire wreath form...then 3/4 of that was topped of with thrifted, floral-print orange shirt I've been dying to find a use for. I love how it is stretchy and cotton, but with a lace appearance. So here you have that part, all covered, with the gray peeking through...

Then I picked out various other shirts to create rosettes. A turquoise tee, a multi-colored orange stripe tee, more of the lacy orange top and a silky button-up floral print top yielded me bunches of coordinating rosettes. Some were rolled, twirled, twisted. I really didn't have a specific idea or number or pattern...just kept making them until it seemed like enough :)

And ta-da! Here is the finished product. I didn't want you to see how grimy my front door is, so I photographed it on our fireplace just for you to see :) Considering how much of each of the shirts I have left, and their cost, including the cost of the wreath....It cost me less than $5 to make this! I'm pretty darn excited about it!

Have you made a wreath lately??? I'd love for you to comment with a link to your wreath post(s) if so...always love some inspiration!


Link up you latest project every Wednesday on the Elle Belle Creative Your Way Wednesday link party!


Creations by Kara




Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. oh.my.gosh. GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The lace was sheer genius -- and the color combo is so flipping fun and perfect for spring AND summer! love it! =)

    I really need to showcase you on p&c one of these days -- bc you are BEYOND talented! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wreath is beautiful! I love the teal and the orange together.

    I also HATE bows on stuff. Ick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the cutest wreath ever! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you like to repurpose old clothing. I do a lot of that!

    Here are a couple of the wreaths I have a tut for on my blog:
    http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com/search/label/wreaths

    I just wrote up one, but it's for a guest blog post, so it's not on my blog yet. It should be around the first part of April. :)

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful! I want to make one. I'm not sure how to do the rosettes. I saw your other one with little pom poms, too. Both are just so beautiful! Do you have a tutorial on how to make pom poms or rosettes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny...I used to HATE wreaths too. Now I am obsessed.

    This wreath will be featured this week at Creative Juice!

    Thanks so much for linking up...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me do a little dance, y'all!