So y'all...I have this person who is super hard to shop for, but simultaneously easy to shop for. Does that make any sense? It's my sister-in-law. She is trendy, fashionable, and loves shoes, bags, accessories...so in that respect, she's easy to buy for!
She is like me...and she loves to shop. She travels a good bit, and since she doesn't live in-state anymore, I am not able to keep up with what she has and has not bought for herself.
Enter her Pinterest addiction.
Hello, let's knockoff some designer duds for s-i-l.
Don't mind if I do.
Here's the inspiration--a $135 scarf from Calypso St. Barth.
I wanted to share a little holiday project I did for my mom. I found the idea for this project here, and had it bookmarked long before I became addicted to Pinterest! I have tons of old windows for projects, and I knew mom is always looking for something fun for her mantle at Christmas time.
My awesome hubs removed the glass for me, and then I cleaned up the frame with baking soda and water. A quick run with some sandpaper, wipe down with a cloth, and I was ready to go. I painted random dots all around the window in red acrylic, using a plain old q-tip!
I used silver wrapped floral wire for hangers, and simple white cup hooks from Lowe's to hang the ornaments. All of the painted ornaments incorporated red in some way. I found the idea for the painted ornaments on Pinterest, here.
These ornaments were made using Mod Podge and Epsom salts. I used one of those cheap, square-ish sponge brushes to dab on the Mod Podge, then just sprinkled on the salts.
My mom was thrilled when I surprised her with it! I haven't seen it in person on her mantle yet. I'll try to get a much better picture of it, in it's new home, on Christmas day.
(P.S. You can find me on Pinterest here...would love to follow you back!)
I hate my closet. It is tiny. We added on to it when we moved in, because this was supposed to be for my stuff AND the hubs' stuff. Pardon me while I laugh hysterically. *gigglesnort* So here's a peek in my ever-messy, shoe-and-clothes-filled-closet. There are far more shoes than anything. It's true--I have a problem.
Okay, seriously. Cutest. Shirt. Ever.
We received this notice of what our insurance paid towards Colston's surgery. I about fell over. We paid, I think, $100 out of pocket? So today, I am immensely grateful for insurance.
-Where You Sleep-
This is our home last year when we had our (for us) crazy big snow. I think snow makes everything look so serene, pretty, calm.
When I was 4 my parents built a new house and we moved in February. They let me pick out everything for my new room--colors, wallpaper, bed (white with pink bedding and canopy, WHAT?!)...These are 3 ornaments left from my very own little tree I had in my room at Christmas. Please note the cat. I hate cats. Moving on.
The hubs is a software developer. His hands provide for our family, put food on the table, and that allows me to stay home with our son. Those are some awesome, powerful hands :)
We are HUGE Clemson fans. On Saturday, Clemson won the ACC championship game for the first time in a LONG time. Now they're off to the Orange Bowl in Miami. This is exciting stuff in this house, guys.
My BFF's dad puts up a ri-donk-culous Christmas display at his home each year. It involves lots of generators and not being able to use the microwave (it throws the breakers y'all, I microwaved a cup of coffee one year and shut the WHOLE yard down. Oops.) I snapped this as we were driving by...and this isn't even finished yet!
Man, is that a pretty picture of me or what?! Hubs had to get an iPad for work and I was playing around with the photo booth thingie. I think 'cyclops' is a becoming look for me. *side eye*
I found this Christmas-themed Q & A at It's A Crafty Life. I thought it seemed fun, so I decided to join in.
1. egg nog or hot chocolate? Neither...I don't even know what the heck egg nog REALLY is, and I'm not a hot chocolate fan. Actually, I'm not much of a hot beverage fan, period. Just give me a Pepsi, peeps, and no one gets hurt. *wink
2. does santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When I was a kiddo, Santa gifts weren't wrapped. My parents, however, were under explicit instruction to wrap their gifts to me...that was the best part, ripping up all that paper!
3. colored lights on tree/house or white? Depends. My living room tree has white because I do the ornaments in a particular color scheme. But I have another tree with colored lights that I use all my random ornaments on.
4. do you hang mistletoe? Nope.
5. when do you put your decorations up? Honestly, um...let's go with "whenever we get around to it", haha.
6. what is your favorite holiday dish? Hmm...we usually have a similar feast as we do on Thanksgiving and I can't really narrow it down! Turkey, mac & cheese, sweet potato casserole, green beans...
7. favorite holiday memory as a child? On Christmas eve, my MaMa would come spend the night with us since we were all the family she had. I cherish all those Christmas eves when we'd be sitting around my parent's den, fire going, watching tv and gazing at all the pretty packages under the tree. It won't be the same this year without her.
8. when and how did you learn the truth about santa? I was either 4 or 5--kindergarten for sure. I was a little detective. My mom had tried to keep it going by putting "Santa's footprints" IN the ashes in the fireplace. But, she used my dad's shoes and they were sitting near the hearth. I, um, matched up the treads. *bows head* Yeah, that's me. Oops. Mom made me promise not to tell the truth about Santa to my friends hahaha :)
9. do you open a gift on christmas eve? When I was a kid, my parents would have a little something for MaMa and for me to open. Mostly to appease me, I think, because the other 364 days of the year I was an extreme introvert. But you put some presents under a tree and I was bouncing off the walls. Now, we have Christmas eve with the hubs's fam so we do gifts there.
10. how do you decorate your christmas tree? At present, our "main" tree is fake (I'm allergic, and man...I think real ones stink!), white lights, and gold/bronze/red color scheme.
11. snow! love it or dread it? Here in SC, our "snow" is more what the rest of the world would consider a flurry. Nonetheless, it shuts everything down and I LOVE it. Every. Time.
12. can you ice skate? Depends on your definition of "can you"...HA. I can remain upright. That count?
13. do you remember your favorite gift? I know there have been many that were more monumental or meaningful...but the year I got my Power Wheels "four wheeler"--oh. my. word. I was, quite literally, hell on wheels. Had a lead foot ever since.
14. what's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Jesus. Family. Friends.
15. what is your favorite holiday dessert? I love all of the goodies my mom and I bake together, I could never pick just one!
16. what is your favorite holiday tradition? So much has changed in the last year between our families, that a lot of our past traditions aren't possible this year. So, I guess I'm looking forward to beginning new traditions with James and Colston.
17. what tops your tree? a red, feathered poinsettia type flower
18. which do you prefer: giving or receiving? BOTH! Loooove to open gifts--don't even care if it's big or small, I just love the fun of it all--but I really, really love giving to others!
19. candy canes: yuck or yum? Meh.
20. favorite christmas show? Ummm...hmm...I can tell you what it's NOT--Miracle on 34th St. nor It's a Wonderful Life. UGH. Shoot me. (yeah yeah, I know I'm the minority on that)
21. saddest christmas song? I'll Be Home for Christmas. Without a doubt. Jeez, so depressing, all I think of is what if I was alone at Christmas. Eesh.
22. what is your favorite christmas song? Carol of the Bells! Or Wizards in Winter...Or, Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You"!!! But of the others, the versions by Trans Siberian Orchestra. And don't tell me you don't love them; saw them live...WOW. Amazing.
I know a lot of you may have seen this before; I first discovered it when looking for 'Wizards in Winter' on YouTube after going to the TSO concert. If you haven't seen this, you're in for a treat! Enjoy!