Thursday, April 28, 2011

Guest Post: Stupid Easy Peach Dump Cobbler

Hey, y'all!

{This is my real-life BFF Jenn...guest-posting while I'm on bloggy-maternity-leave. Take it away, Jenn!}

When I first started “cooking” (if you can even call it that) for my then-boyfriend-now-husband, he mentioned that he loooooved cobblers. Me, with my unyielding need to impress him...I couldn’t keep my fat mouth shut and blurted out “Oh, cobblers are sooo easy! I can do that!”

Aaaand then I proceeded to call my mom in a complete panic. I'd never made a cobbler in my entire stinking life! What was I thinking?!?! Well, mom came to the rescue as always with a no-frills, easy-prep recipe I couldn’t screw up.

Guess who screwed it up anyway? It’s a long story that involves me brazenly (insanely) believing that it was ok not to have an egg to put in it…what on earth could it possibly do for a cobbler anyway? Ugh. I had so much to learn.

Anyway, the successful version (now a favorite both to eat AND make) goes like this.

Grab these:

1 stick butter

1 29 oz can of peaches

1 c sugar

1 c milk

1 c self-rising flour (I used bisquick)

1 egg

1/2 tsp almond extract

And do it like this:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x8 casserole dish with Pam or other non-stick spray. Put the stick of butter in the dish and melt it in the oven while you're preheating. In a separate bowl combine flour, egg, milk, sugar, and almond extract. Pour this mixture around in the dish--make swirls, crisscrosses, lattice work, initials, cuss words--whatever your creative mind desires…just get it all over the dish. Drop the peaches down through the batter, being sure to evenly distribute the fruit throughout the dish. (They should sink like juicy little bricks but if they don't, the crust will bake up over them. It's ok either way.) Bake 30-45 minutes, or until top is brown and sticky.

This should serve 6 (if you’re reasonable, 4 if it’s been a really bad day...but don't be alone with this. Seriously. After midnight, it starts calling you, and then things get ugly.)

***One of the great things about this recipe is that it’s versatile. You can make pretty much any fruit cobbler this way, just by swapping the fruit and the extract. Great flavor combos include: blueberry, blackberry, or cherry with vanilla extract, or apple with apple pie spice (in this case, use 2 tsp of the spice). The instructions are the same regardless of the fruit you use, and the results are just as delicious!

before baking:

close up fresh from the oven:

ta-da! Yumminess:


Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. OHH MY! I use to make this with fresh peaches. and It is EVIL!!! Evil I tell you. Blueberries are even better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me do a little dance, y'all!