Wednesday, February 2, 2011

two awesome chicken recipes!

Let me start by saying, steak is *usually* one of my favorite things in the whole world. Vegans, vegetarians, look away now. I love a good steak and I want it medium-rare. I have been this way since I was a little girl. But back in the fall when I found out I was pregnant for the first time, I quickly discovered that the baby had other plans. There would be no steak, no burgers...cows every where were probably rejoicing. (which kinda makes me cringe because I really love moo-moos--alive, I mean)

I spent weeks not only sick, but quickly learning that things I'd loved my whole life were the most disgusting thing ever while pregnant. Bacon. Orange juice. GRITS. I am a Southern girl and I *have* to have my grits. REAL ones. Not that cream of wheat junk you weirdos eat with sugar or whatever *grin*....I kid.

Eventually baby conceded to allow some chicken in my diet, and it's pretty much been the only meat I can regularly handle...after he's born I'll probably be asking the hospital if they serve steak. But I digress (again). I absolutely love finding recipes here in blogland because it means someone has already tried it, and if needed, offered suggestions on how to make it better...it's far less risky (in my opinion) that just picking something from a cookbook.

So without further adieu I am going to ask you to pretty please go try this two awesome recipes I discovered...they will be a hit!

I first stumbled across this White Chicken Chili recipe at Kimberly's Yummy Monday. She has an awesome blog Bugaboo Mini Mr & Me, and if you've never visited...you should! Anyway, not only is this recipe super easy, but I am super picky and I *loved* it. I don't like beans *at all* and still I chowed down on this stuff. The leftovers are yummy too! I cut it down for my purposes (just me and the hubs), and when I re-heat the leftovers I added a splash of chicken broth so that it doesn't get too thick. I also think they're better re-heated on the stove than in the microwave (if you can), and by all means...ADD THE CHEESE. Yum. And I had garlic bread with it (I have an obsession with the stuff, maybe it's just me)...The hubs deemed it the "best thing you've ever made". So thanks, Kimberly, for making me the rockstar cook!

The other recipe I tried for the first time last night. It's a super easy chicken and rice casserole that I found on Jamie's blog Happy House Happy Home. It was easy and flavorful, and the leftovers heated up perfectly in the microwave...it didn't dry them out at all! I hate when that happens. I didn't have 3 pieces of chicken, only 2, so I threw in a can of green peas with it to add some green (Mom would be proud). Go see Jamie and check out her blog AND this recipe, I found it especially comforting last night since it was cold and super rainy here! The hubs loves "cheese-y, casserole-y anything" (his words) and this was another definite hit...he said "wow, baby, you've really been hitting the jackpot with these recipes." Why thank you, dear (and Jamie, 'cause it's your recipe).

Be sure to let me know if you try either of these, I'd love to know what you think!


1 comment:

  1. i adore my steak being cooked the same way! sometimes even rare, just seered or browned on the outside only...depending on my mood

    i do want to try the chicken chili - sounds good - i'll link back to you when i do!

    i'm a new follower of your blog and featured you link button on my Swap Followings post. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me do a little dance, y'all!